Disclaimer: This page may contain affiliate links, which means that if you decide to purchase through those links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you 🙂 I have used and experienced all of the products and experiences I have linked and promote them as I found them trustworthy. For more information check out my Disclaimer policy!
The London EDITION injects a contemporary, urban cool and design drama into the grand traditions of an English country manor and a private club. The London EDITION is owned by one of the biggest of the big chains (Marriott Hotels). But it is as far from a big-chain hotel as you can get. It’s an Ian Schrager hotel, the original man behind the “boutique hotel” category. Plus, it happens to be located just down the road from the Sanderson, one of the original crop of Ian Schrager hotels. The London EDITION is no knockoff, though — a cursory look makes it abundantly clear that this is a more sedate, more elegant and a more grown-up affair. Check out this amazing hotel at Marriott’s website here!
Related: More posts on United Kingdom
The London EDITION is a row of old Georgian townhouses on Berners Street in Fitzrovia, renovated and given the luxury-boutique treatment by some of the biggest players in the game. The contrast of mirrored silver orb light sculpture hung from the ceiling set against marble columns and a lush green velvet upholstery epitomizes the bold style of this talk-of-the-town hotel. Follow this link to check out the hotel booking details for your dates! Alternatively, here are other accommodation options available in London!
The public spaces are a postmodern mix of disparate eras. Drawing inspiration from the 1835 houses, the original 1908 hotel, and bits and bobs from the history of modernism, from mid-century to the present. Meanwhile, the rooms take a more contemporary tack. All simplicity in rich wood textures and modern-classic furnishings. Earth tones dominate, historical details abound, but you’re never unaware that this is a 21st-century interpretation rather than a period piece.
The rooms, of course, are only half the package. The London EDITION features no fewer than three bars. Including the wide-open and welcoming Lobby Bar, with its extremely serious cocktail menu, the intimate, reservations-only Punch Room, and the food-focused Berners Tavern. The last qualifies as a restaurant as well. It’s got no less a light than the Michelin-starred chef as its head honcho. All three are classic nightspots in the boutique-hotel mode — modish and attractive, both in design and in clientele, and with something of a talent for getting talked about. London essentials, all of them.
What I loved
- Very impressive lobby, with the spectacular light fixture hung from the ceiling. Created by Ingo Maurer and hinting at Salvador Dali’s surrealism, this spaceship-like, polished silver sphere immediately draws attention. Looking great in the grand space of the lobby.
- Great interiors in the rooms, minimalist yet warm.
- The opulent Berners Tavern run by the Michelin-starred chef Jason Atherton serves excellent food—make a dinner reservation even if you don’t stay at the hotel.
- ‘Punch of the day’ served in antique silver bowls—in the Punch Room, tucked at the back of the hotel comfortable spot redolent of an English gentlemen’s club. By reservation only!
What you should know
- The London EDITION is nothing if not grand, and marble is everywhere. This stays true to the hotel’s luxurious credentials!
- Stay in an upper floor room, to escape the noise of the city
- There is complimentary broadband WiFi throughout the hotel
- This hotel has a strict smoke-free policy and pets are not allowed
For more stuff like this, join the club! If you’re not already a member, you can sign up below and get tons of amazing, incredible, badass stuff that no one else can get and all your friends will be jealous.
Until next time, be jealous friends. Be jealous.
Get FREE access to our member’s only club and enjoy unlimited travel resources. Be the first to find out about new travel discounts and exclusive discount coupons for leading brands. Did I mention it’s all FREE? Are you in? Great! Sign up below!